Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to my husband, Cliff! Have a Great day. I guess I had not better print his age or I might wish I had not. I will tell you he is OLD! But as he says, he can never be as old as I am.

From Bucky Seelig:
If you are sitting at home, bored with nothing to do, and as the country song goes, “It’s too hot to fish, too hot to golf, and too cold at home,” download the September issue of the Trails. Find a cool quite corner in your house, grab a cold drink, read all about the candidates running for the CASI Board, and plan your next cooking adventure. Even if you’re qualified, go out and support an event near you. Help monitor, judge, tally or whatever may be required. You know you will be welcome.

NOTE: As of the mail yesterday and contact with several people, I have recieved or had contact with every Pod except the Mason Dixon Pod. Thank you to all of you who have worked hard to meet the deadline. The reports have been complete and ready for me to record. Thanks for ensuring that every question was answered. We still have a few people who need to get their dues paid.

On another note, if your pod is planning on submitting your Great Pepper for Great Pepper of the year, you need to send me your nomination with support immediately. I have already received some, but want to give every Pod a chance to nominate. Please send those nominations right away. If you have questions about it, please contact me.

From Midland 8-15-09:

It was a hot day on the asphalt at the Harley Davidson Store, but there was lots of enthusiasum! It also was a day of celebration. It was Louis Gonzales' Birthday (61), Patsy and LeRoy Childress Wedding Anniversary (40) and Dave and Kathy Boone's Wedding Anniversary. After Chili came a celebration for Patsy and LeeRoy. It was a full day of activity.

39 Chilis


1 Amy Patton
2 Louis Gonzales
3 Dave Boone
4 Barbara Herrin
5 Pat Timmons
6 Connie Collier
7 Guy W Bates
8 Keith Patton
9 Karen Baines
10 Leroy Childress

SHOW
1 Guy W Bates
2 Sherry Maus
3 Donny Warner

From Dave Hewlett:

The word Pondarosa has a meaning all its own. I think of a hot dry dusty barren plain where the wind blows and the tumble weeds roam. Well the east Texas Pondarosa CCO was held this past week end and I felt like I was on an oasis of sorts with blue water in front of me and trees behind. The brown skin of the local people were on display and enjoying a great very hot day. The cooks huddled under their sun reflecting many colored canopy and labored with love on their prize seeking pot of gold(chili). There were 32 harty heat suffering cooks looking for only 10 places in the much seeked after CASI CHILI points on Saturday. Some were waiting on the magic bell to ring when they could stop sweating and turn in their chili. Then wait more as the skin bared judges did their task and evaluated the chili with their low or none experience in chili. Many came thru and did a good job while the inevitable one judge killed the hopes of the good to best cooks with the favored 1's and 2’s on the sheet mixed with a few 9's and 10's.

Then came Sunday and 19 cooks came to seek the next day points and it was just as hot and the barred skin judges waited in the water so they could be cool until they did their good or bad deed once again. Here are the results of the 2 days where some made it and became qualified or are just 1 point short. These will try next weekend somewhere but the scenery may not be as good due to there not being the blue water barred skin team waiting to judge

8-15-09 Sat CHILI: 32

1. Charles Breeden
2. Ron Baker
3. Lou Hewlett
4. Dee Palmer
5. Dave Hewlett
6. Eric Williams
7. Steve Heaser
8. Budda Manske
9. Larry Wampler
10. J.D. Dugan

8-15-09 SHOW:

1. Nancy Hewlett
2. Larry Wampler
3. Dee Palmer

8-15-09 BEANS 7

1. Larry Wampler


8-16-09 CHILI: 19

1. David Whitehead
2. Dave Hewlett Q
3. J.D. Dugan
4. Meredith Martin
5. T.J. Friedel
6. Steve Heaser
7. Larry Wampler
8. Jason Clark
9. Jenny Whitehead
10. Dee Palmer

8-16-09 SHOW:

1. Bill Seifert
2. Larry Wampler
3. Dee Palmer


The Following is a letter I recieved. Thanks James for taking the time to share with us.



James F. Basile
63 Pennfield Street
Springfield MA 01129
413-783-0969 or 413-222-3940



August 17, 2009

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing today to give my support 100% to Jenny Windsor in her bid to run for the CASI Board of Directors. I have recently gotten to know her through my first involvement with CASI and my first attempt at running a Chili Cook Off here in Massachusetts. I jumped into this without having the first clue as to what I needed to do to make this a success and not make a fool of myself. Jenny came to my aid and took me under her wing. She was there to give me great advice, explain things to me and was a tremendous amount of support. I am sure without her help and guidance our first ever CASI sanctioned event in Massachusetts would have been a big failure. A great time was had by all, and so many are looking forward to next year’s event!

I believe that Jenny has what it takes to be a great representative to CASI. Her dedication and passion for this organization can only be an asset to everyone she would represent. I believe your organization can only grow and continue it’s great reputation with her guidance. Thank you for taking the time to consider my recommendation of Jenny Windsor for the Board of Directors of CASI. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like me to expand on anything specific.

Sincerely,

James Basile
Chili Cook Off Director
Middlefield Fair

From Ron Barnes:

Gratitude Salute
This is a great way to say thank you!!!!!
Gratitude Salute This is pretty neat.....(30 second video)... Have you ever seen one of our military walking past you and wanted to convey to them your thanks, but weren't sure how, or it felt awkward? Recently, a gentleman from Seattle created a gesture which couldbe used to express your thanks and has started a movement to get the word out.. Please everybody take just a moment to watch..... The Gratitude Salute....and then forward it to your friends! THEN START USING THE SIGN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo