Monday, June 1, 2009

Today is the last day to apply for the Krazy Flat's Coordinator job. If you are interested, please email me your application. There is an application on the CASI Web Home page. It's not to late to send that application to me. I will accept it electronically sent.

Also, this is the last day to email me and let me know that you will accept the Annual Report sent to you electronically. I have had a great response to this trail. It will save a lot in postage and printing. Thanks to all of you who have responded.

Janice

From Dale Reinecker:
Hello Chiliheads,
I am formally announcing my candidacy for the CASI Board of Directors, special election. For those of you that already know me, and the many more of you that don’t, here is a brief summation of my qualifications, experience and why I am seeking a position on the BOD.

I’ve been a chili cook since 1997 and have accomplished a few things over the years. I was Cowtown Great Pepper for two years and Great Pepper of the Year in 2006. Also won the inaugural one person show award in ’06 as Chief No Ponies.

I am retired, having been a businessman for 33 years in the advertising/marketing/public relations/sales promotion business. From this perspective I can applaud the efforts and accomplishments of CASI in the past years, but I can also recognize so much that can, and needs, to be done if we are to grow and thrive. I believe we have been stagnant recently and that the status quo has got to go. (Sounds like a campaign slogan.)

If elected I will question and challenge how we as an organization do things, including the very structure and organization of the BOD. I believe there are things our pods can do and even the individual positions on the BOD can do to add value to their efforts to enhance CASI and further support our sponsors. I will push for more ‘original thinking’ up and down the line. I do not expect everyone to agree with everything, and positive debate is good, but we need to get away from the ‘this is the way we’ve always done it’ thinking and find new ways to get things accomplished. I will solicit and encourage input and thoughts from everybody, but I am my own person and have no ‘special alliances’. My only agenda is CASI.

For a more detailed listing of my background and qualifications, along with more specific ideas on what I will work to accomplish, please go to
www.cowtowncasi.com. I welcome your thoughts and questions. My email is dreinecker@msn.com and phone number is 817-283-1460. If you agree that we need to find different ways to do things, I would appreciate your support and vote.

Thank You
Dale Reinecker


From Bill Pierson:

St. Charles IL—Last Saturday, May 30 (the Real Memorial Day), the Illinois Ladies State Open and Men's State Open were held at Zylstra Harley-Davidson. After a cool and cloudy morning, a gust of wind interupted the awards ceremony (destroying two canopies), it did get up to 80°. The Living Well Cancer Resource Center and Childrens Club Courageous were the beneficeraries of these cookoffs, and while I don't have the final numbers, I think they will be happy with the results.

We had 18 ladies and 20 men participate, plus three restaurants in the first attempt at this competition. There were some interesting story-lines in each gender division. On the ladies side, the top ten featured many familiar faces and one first-time cook at fourth place. The men's side was almost the same with a first-time cook taking tenth.

Candy Thomas had been having a tough time with points lately, but cooked quite a pot Saturday to become the 2009 IL Ladies State Champion. A pretty impressive way to say, "I'm back!" The other very greatful ladie qualifiers were Georgia Weller (2nd) and Kathy Martin (3rd).

Wes Carlson scored a very impressive win in the men's competition. Second place Bill Thomas (yes, partner of the Ladies Champ) collected his second automatic-qualifier in May. Illinois' first qualified cook, Bret Centers rounded out the top three.

I could mention the six trophies that the Pierson family picked-up, but I won't.

LADIES CHILI
1. Candy Thomas, Naperville IL
2. Georgia Weller, Rockton IL
3. Kathy Martin, Huntley IL
4. Carol Centers, WEstmont IL
5. Jennifer Pierson Shepherd, Montgomery IL
6. Gloria Stevens, Homer Glen IL
7. Julie Netser, Seymour IN
8. Jill Pierson, Batavia IL
9. Kay Fennel, Woodbridge IL
10. Cheryl Pierson, Batavia IL


LADIES SHOW
1. Cheryl Pierson, Batavia IL
2. Roylene Johnson, Ottumwa IA
3. Gloria Molitor, St. Charles IL

MEN'S CHILI
1. Wes Carlson, Loves Park IL
2. Bill Thomas, Naperville IL
3. Bret Centers, Lisle IL
4. Eric Shepherd, Montgomery IL
5. Jim Weller, Rockton IL
6. Mike Usiak, Chicago IL
7. Jeff Netser, Seymour IN
8. Bill Pierson, Batavia IL
9. John Gastaldello, Downers Grove IL
10. Ed Zielinski, Brookfield IL

MEN'S SHOW
1. Bret Centers, Lisle IL
2. Virgil Johnson, Ottumwa IA
3. Mike Stevens, Homer Glen IL

From Larry Velasquez

Oklahoma Joe's DeSoto Rotary CCO
May 30, 2009

CASI (17 Cooks):
1. Jeff Stehney - De Soto, Kansas
2. Jacque Hathaway - Lewisburg, Kansas
3. Lee Kroencke - Lenexa, Kansas
4. Larry Velasquez - Mission, Kansas
5. Colleen Lintner - Shawnee, Kansas
6. Peg Velasquez - Mission, Kansas
7. Jason Brinkman - Lenexa, Kansas
8. Peg Kirk-Velasquez - Kansas City, Kansas
9. Erwin Clark - Kansas City, Missouri
`0. Stephanie Wilson - Kansas City, Missouri *1st time cook
11. Jerri Dowdy - Kansas City, Missouri - Kiss Your Sister


Showmanship:
1. Duck Blind Chili - Steve Dowdy - Kansas City, MO
2. Dumb Blonde Chili - Jerri Dowdy - KC, MO
3. Toad Chokin Chili


Home Style (15 Cooks):
1. Shelley Kroencke - Lenexa, Kansas
2. Max Atwell - DeSoto, KS (Rotary member)
3. Lee Kroencke - Lenexa, Kansas

People's Choice
Kevin Stovall - Lee's Summitt, Missouri

From Bruce Stewart:

Mel Neff is in the VA hosiptal at Dallas. He is to under go heart by-pass surgery this week. Please keep him and Sharon in your prayers and thoughts.

From Roger Foltz:

POD NEWSLETTER CONTEST

Pod Newsletters are a vital way to keep the membership informed on all activities in the POD as well as CASI information. With this in mind CASI will again be having a POD newsletter contest this year. Judging will be done by an independent panel of CASI members from across the country. Winners will be announced, and awards will be presented to the top three places at TICC.

PODS can enter the Newsletter Contest by notifying me of their interest in entering, and by sending their newsletters for the period of July, August and September 2009 to me at: rbfoltz@aol.com

Below are the criteria to be used by the judges.

Judge the POD Newsletters using one single score from 1 thru 10 with 10 being the highest, on the categories below. You can use the same score more than once as newsletters are to be judged on its own merits.

Categories to judge on:
Content (Does it have?)
Pod News
Information from Pod meetings
Cookoff listings in area
Winners of area events
Contact information for officers
What have the members been doing? (i.e. gossip or reports on cookoffs)
Can a new cook read it and know what you are talking about? (i.e. use full names and not abbreviations for events)
CASI News
Information from Directors meetings
Procedures or Rule changes
Contact information of CASI
Appearance:
Pod Logo
Photos – Do they have captions?
Laid out in a pleasing format.

Ask questions:
Did I learn something from the newsletter?
Did I find information I needed, for now or as a reference?
Was it enjoyable & informative enough to want to read it every month?

From Christie DePoorter:
















From David Sexton: