Thursday, August 19, 2010

From Brent Allen:
It has been with great interest that I have followed the blogs, emails and Facebook posts the last couple of days. There have been good points and information put forth by several. So here are some things I see and feel from all of this.

I believe that the directors, and I mean all the directors, and want-to-be directors, are in this for the good of the organization. They are not going to become rich or more popular; so the only reason is to do it for what they believe.

If you say that you want change, then do something and then let the members of the organization know what is being done. We all know that some things don't move fast enough so keep us in the loop.

CASI - the big purpose here is charity; that is what I continue to hear. I believe this is a great thing, but as with any organization, business, or even family you must make that solid and stable to do the most good. Invest in yourself; it will profit ten-fold and more as the organization grows. And yes, it can grow.

Depending on free press has never, and will never, work. In the world today you are forced to spend something on advertising if you want to have a chance against the other guys. If the cost of PR and advertising does not seem to justify the anticipated outcome, do what you can to change the outcome, but it is still a must.

As far as a Public Relations campaign goes, that should be one thing that never stops. I agree that the best for this job is probably always going to be the TICC champion. But past champions, state champions, Pod's and directors can all fit into this campaign.

Sponsorship will probably always be one of the hardest things. I see no reason that this has to be a director’s position; just the person that has the guts to do it. Sponsorship has many aspects and is not based just on numbers. Remember, quality counts too. Many would rather have a thousand chili cooks that use a stove than ten thousand at a rock concert that have never heard of a stove.

Stay in contact throughout the year with your sponsors, potential sponsors, events, organizations and promoters letting them know of PR opportunities. They will never think of it again if you don't remind them.

As I see it there are two options here. CASI does not make changes, stays the same, we all have a great time, raise money for charity, then we just fade away. Or, we do something, make changes, make it fresh, keep it fresh, get new people and money involved, keep having fun, make more money for charity and keep this thing going for years to come.
Remember - If it wasn't for different opinions it would do no good to have an opinion.

And note to directors -- If you want change Do Something. It will make some unhappy, it will make some happy and it will make more work for you. That's how you know it's Change.

A Story from a Canadian Chili Lover in Mexico:
My name's Jerome. I have been in love with chili ever since I was in high school in Ajax, Ontario, Canada, more than half my life ago. My friend Mike Woodburne used to invite me and the gang to his house annually on Superbowl Sunday for a Superbowl Party. His parents did the cooking, and even allowed us a few beers. They made sandwiches they called "stubbs", which had eggs, cheese, bacon, and sausage patties, all on fried Texas toast. And they made a big pot of chili. Mr. Woodburne made the chili three days in advance. He swore it made the flavours better. Darn that was good chili. He has since taught me the recipe (including the elusive secret ingredient, the revelation of which would create waves across the entire worldwide chili-eating community) and although I have adapted it considerably, I still think of it as Woodburne's Three-Day Superbowl Chili.

Around that time I learned that in a faraway land called Texas they had spectacular Chili Cookoff contests. One day going to one of these contests became a dream of mine.

Years passed. University, first love, travel, new homes, new jobs, new foods, second love. I went all over the world and did great things, but I never made it to Texas for a Chili Cookoff... until last month.

I am a teacher in Mexico City, and was approaching my summer break. It was finally time. I bought a bus ticket to Texas to go to a Chili Cookoff. Thanks to your excellent website I was able to find one near Austin, a city I wanted to visit anyway. It was the "Outlaws & Ladies Barbecue and Chili Cookoff" at the Waterhole Saloon in Del Valle. I contacted the organizer with my resume, told her my story, and requested to be an Official Judge. She was happy to oblige. Soon after I was on a 24 hour bus ride heading North, crossing the border at Matamoros, and arriving in Austin ready to go. The next morning I headed out of town to get to the Cookoff (a bit of hitchhiking was required at this point, but Texans are friendly people.) Arriving at the Waterhole Saloon, I walked in... And the event was cancelled. There were a couple old drunk guys at the bar (it was noon) and an apologetic waitress explained it had been cancelled due to lack of participation. I told her I had come from Mexico City to be there, but there wasn't much she could do about that. I had even worn my nicest shirt to appear more judicious. I sat under a tree outside, pretty bummed out for a bit. There was a tin of salmon in my backpack, and some trail-mix, but every bite reminded me of how much it wasn't chili.

(This was the low point of my trip, but I went to lots of other great places in your wonderful country, and ended up having a fantastic vacation anyway.)

Arriving home in Mexico I decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm happy to announce that in a week and a half is the very first "Mexico City Texas Chili Cookoff". We have 7 chefs on board so far, several dozen judges (everyone who doesn't cook will judge,) and I'm extremely excited. I'm getting a bottle of champagne for our winner, and we'll get a trophy made, maybe something for the runners-up too. I've attached the invitation below, as well as our Chef bios. If you have any CASI Directors in Mexico City, or if somebody wants to come on a vacation, they are certainly invited (although we're allowing beans... sorry!) I'll even spot any CASI Officials the 30 pesos entrance fee.

Thanks for your great organization. I hope to meet some or all of you sometime in the future at a big Chili Cookoff in the States. Wish me luck with my own! Maybe Woodburne's Three-Day Superbowl Chili will take home the ribbon.

Big chili hugs to my friends up North,

Jerome

From Bruce Stewart, BSOT GP:
The black Sheep of Texas is moving it's mailing address from Mitchell RV Park to as follows:

BSOT Pod
c/o Manske Material Handling
3137 S. Main St.
Ft. Worth, TX 76110