Sunday, February 1, 2009

From Jen Windsor:


Subject: Jack Ware: To my friends, my dad's friends and chili companions, I'm sad to say that my father passed away peacefully late Saturday nite, 1/31/09, at his retirement home in Sterling, Va. My brother Don and I were there at his side. He did not suffer and passed away peacefully. The cause of death was complications resulting from Parkinson's disease. His wishes are to be cremated immediately and then a family service and burial at Jefferson Barracks Military Cemetary in St. Louis. I will be working on those plans, and tending to the zillion things that must be done over the next few weeks. I also want to apoligize to you all for not staying in touch as I should, the rapid decline of the last few months, especially recently, as simply kept me out of touch with just about everyone. Please accept my apologies. With much gratitude, Ken Ware (a.k.a. Kenny)
From Karen Bains:
The 9th Annual Horn Toad Roundup and Chili Cook Off will be held in Rankin, Texas at the Tommy Workman Park this Saturday February 7th. First Place is a Bronze Horn Toad by Lloyd Goldwire. Be ready for lots of food, fun and fellowship. Here is the schedule

Friday
6:00 P.M. Fish Fry
7:30 P.M. Tequila Rose Toast

Saturday
8:30 a.m. Breakfast furnished by the Rankin Museum
9 a.m. Registration
10 a.m. Cook's Meeting
2 p.m. Chili Turn-in
Stew/Soup Dinner one hour after results
42 Tournament immediately after Supper

Hope to see you there.

As most of you know, this CCO has never been won by a man!!

Just a note from Connie Collier

Ladies don't forget the Tequila Rose Bud gathering and toast on Friday night. Please pass the word for those girls going to Rankin, to bring a chilled bottle of the "Sweet Nectar", your special shot glass, and something pink or your Tequila Rose shirts for our photo opt!

This is going to be a great cook-off so come on down and join the fun -- Cooking Chili for Charity with CASI!

From Pat Krenek

As many of you now know, Richard W. King passed away on Friday, January 30, 2009. In an effort to inform family and friends I wanted to get this information out as soon as possible to allow folks to make arrangements.

The service will be at 3:00pm on Sunday, February 8, 2009

Manassas Seventh-day Adventist Church
9858 Fairmont Avenue
Manassas , Virginia
703-335-1710
http://msdachurch.org
Gathering afterwards at 5:00

From Renee Moore:

102 cooks on Saturday in Minden. George French and Jerry Hunt were overwhelmed; even had to make more judging cups. There were 35 Louisiana cooks and none in the top 10.

They got 2 from the final table and the 3rd was further down the line.

David Manske’s aunt won. This was her 3rd cookoff. David Lake from Tyler was 2nd, Phil Greenlees from Houston was 3rd.

Bo Prewitt, Dana Hay and Susan Dean represented the champions that were present. Bo and I were the only Directors in attendance.

Great cookoff for a great cause, and they raised lots of money for St. Jude’s. There is an auction that goes on all weekend, too, that adds to the totals collected.

Well, with all this news that was sent to me, I will not add to the column today. Thanks to all of you who have sent me something and for all the emails encouraging me on this blog.