Tuesday, June 15, 2010

From Kim Hiley:Results of Return of the Chili Queens

May 30, 2010 ~ 27 Cooks

Chili
1st ~ Charmaine Rogers, San Antonio, TX
2nd ~ Kay Sandlin, Seguin, TX
3rd ~ Wappo Shrade, San Antonio, TX
4th ~ Randy Pitman, San Antonio, TX
5th ~ Bruce Jones, Canyon Lake, TX
6th ~ Tim LaLanne, Pipe Creek, TX
7th ~ Kevin Cyrus, Cibolo, TX
8th ~ Keith Karaff, Magnolia, TX
9th ~ Connie Shrade, San Antonio, TX
10th ~ Melodie Smith, San Antonio, TX

Show
1st ~ Big Kahuna, Scott Knight, San Antonio, TX
2nd ~ Flaming-O, Laura McDaniel, San Antonio, TX
3rd ~ Biker Babe, Melodie Smith, San Antonio, TX

Another Great turn out for this cook-off and a Wonderful time was had by all....

Scholarship reminder from Barbara Herrin:

In order to determine whether or not students who have received scholarships from CASI are eligible for scholarship monies for the 2010-2011 school year, I need to receive copies of their grades from the fall 2009 and spring 2010 school year.

I am lacking grades and contact information from the following students:

David Richardson
James Brockman
Jerad Christensen
Lauren McAdams
Luke Sotkovski
Samantha Sievering
Tatum Foster

If anyone in the “chili world” knows these students, please contact the student and have them send their grades to me. They can either email them or postal mail them at
Barbara Herrin
7291 FM 380
Paint Rock, Texas 76866
herrinbarbara@aol.com

From Bruce Smith:
The Central Arkansas POD Chili Cookoff and POD Elections will be held on Saturday, July 10 . Mark your calendars and plan to attend. It will be held at the Eagles Landing Lake Conway.

From Carrie Kinnison:
The Highland Lakes Pod is asking for your thoughts and prayers for Tom Cook. He was taken to North Austin Hospital on Sunday. Will forward information as we receive it.

From Ronnie and Sue Yates:
There are not enough words to express our Thanks to our Friends in the Chili Family.  Thanks for the cards, calls, flowers, donations, and hugs during the illness and death of my son.  It made things so much easier just to know that you cared and would take the time to remember us.  Thank you and may God bless each one of you.



I received an email this week from Ken Robinson:
I am a CASI member from Australia which is a bit far away for members. Here chilli is not well known, but gaining popularity. It is  something I wish to promote. This will be difficult, because I live in a little remote town in the Northern Territory, pop 350, and am 76 yo.

I believe you have a branch in the Caribbean, which would have a similar climate to here, I would appreciate information from people who may grow their own peppers, which is necessary here. Our supermarket doesn't stock chillis, and is a 200 km round trip away.

While I might not be able help on the charity side, I am interested in what is going on in your part of the world. As an Aussie Vietnam Veteran, I met a lot of people from Texas, and the South, and like them. 

I have been in contact with a presenter on a national gardening show, her husband likes chilli, if I can get information, maybe I can get some publicity, and get something started.

I like your charity work also, if we can have fun and help people at the same time, what a wonderful idea.

Thank you for allowing me to become a member, I certainly will not abuse, my membership.
My best wishes to you and fellow members.

NOTE:
CASI is expanding and reaching new areas of the world.  Here is hoping that Ken can put together a CCO and that some of us from the States can attend.